So Much JOY!!
About 13 years ago, we visited some friends who were stationed in England (we were stationed in Germany at the time). In the dining room on their buffet they had pictures of each of their extended families - the wife's family consisting of several brothers and sisters and their spouses and kids which totaled 25-30 people and the husband's family consisting of his parents, one brother, his wife and one kid besides their own 4 kids (their family adding up to more than half of the extended family).
At that time we had 4 kids and life felt very full. Adding another kid to the mix seemed a little overwhelming and we thought 4 might be it for us. But as I stood looking at the contrast between these 2 family pictures and knowing the joy that the large family picture held (because it was the same joy that I felt when my siblings and our families got together) I wanted that!! I wanted that joy!! And if having life be a bit overwhelming - doing pregnancy, diapers and sleepless nights and the stress of it all (not to mention in a foreign country) for a little while longer then in order to have what I really wanted in the future, it seemed like a no-brainer. The choice was clear and easy. About 11 months later we had Sarah.
Now as the overwhelm of those years is a faint memory and we are at that stage where kids have left and are soon leaving our home to embark on their independent lives I am surprised to find that we are beginning to experience that joy already. Seeing our children reunite as friends and enjoying their camaraderie, laughter, raucousness and all around craziness is one of the greatest delights I have known in my life thus far - true JOY!
(What are they doing? They are making fun of their mother, that is what they are doing. My bum typically gets cold when we are camping and so I sometimes squat over the fire to warm up a bit. Apparently this is somewhat uncommon and "the mom squat" became a thing.
And if we wear them out sometimes they are peaceful (some things don't change).






This just makes me smile and feel sad and happy at the same time. Seeing life pass by so quickly but adding not galore. So funny about the squat
ReplyDelete